President’s Day and IRS Help Lines for 2014

Posted by

president day and taxes

Every year after the President’s Day the IRS is experiencing a deluge of phone calls and the two most common requests are inquiries about a refund and asking about a status of W2 forms. The IRS expects Tuesday, February 18, the day after the holiday, to be one of the busiest, if not the busiest days of the year. Avoid calling that day simply because the chances are you will not get through or spend significant portion of your days on hold. Plan your inquiries ahead to skip the hassle.

Where’s My Refund?

Many taxpayers have already filed their tax returns and will be awaiting a refund. 9 out of 10 refunds are issued in less than 21 days making February 18 a likely day that the IRS could provide some information about your refund. If you filed electronically your best option is Where’s My Refund tool directly form the IRS website. To retrieve information, you will need the following:

  • Social security number.
  • Filing status (Single, Married-Filing Jointly/Separately, Head of Household, Qualifying Widowe(er)).
  • Exact refund amount.

The refund information is updated once every 24 hours so there is no need to check it more than once a day. If you decide to call, know that information you get on the phone is the same as the one provided online.

Where’s my W2

Employers have until January 31 to prepare and mail W2 forms. Allow adequate number of days for mail to reach you but if you don’t receive your W2 form by the President’s Day your best option is to contact the employer. The most common reason people do not receive the form is that their mailing address in outdated. You may have been working at a company for a long time but if you moved in the last year, you need to notify the employer. They still have your original address on file and that’s the most likely destination of your W2. Similarly, if you are no longer with the company, make sure you left them a return address you will check periodically. Only after the employer has failed to give you a W2 form you should call the IRS and ask for assistance. The IRS will contact the employer on your behalf requesting the form.

In the meantime your other option is to file taxes with your last pay stub. The information it contains ought to be very similar to your W2. For instructions on how to file taxes using the last paycheck, check out this post.

Leave a comment