On January 31, 2014 the IRS will start processing income tax returns. Below is a list of the most important tax dates for this tax season. Let’s start with the most important.
April 15, 2014 is the deadline for the following forms (all of these forms can be downloaded here):
- File individual tax returns – Form1040, 1040A, 1040EZ.
- File automatic 6 months extension – Form 4868.
- Estimated tax payments for the 1st quarter.
- For 2010 tax year – last chance to file 1040 and receive a tax refund; last day to file 1040X Amended Tax returns for 2010; similarly, trusts and partnerships can file amended income tax for that year.
- Income tax return for estates and trusts – Form 1041.
- Return of partnership income – Form 1065 and provide a Schedule K-1 to every partner.
June 16, 2014 is the last day to file these items:
- file individual tax returns for US citizens living abroad – Form 1040.
- file automatic 4 months extension – Form 4868.
October 15, 2014 is the last day to send in these items:
- Individual tax returns due after an extension received.
- Last day to file your taxes electronically, from that point on they have to be mailed.
Corporations and non-profit organizations
March 17, 2014 is the last day to file these items:
- Corporate tax returns – Forms 1120, 1120A, 1120S.
- Automatic 6 months extension – Form 7004.
- File amended corporate tax return for 2010 and claim a refund – Form 1120X.
May 15, 2014:
- Return of organization exempt from income tax – Form 990.
- Application for Extension of Time to File an Exempt Organization Return – Form 8868.
September 15, 2014:
- File corporate tax returns after an extension was granted (6 months).
- Partnership tax returns are due after an extension was granted (5 months).
Estimated Tax payments for the 2014 tax year
- 4th quarter (last year): January 15 – This is for the 4th quarter of 2013; not applicable if you file a return and pay balance by January 31, 2014.
- 1st quarter: April 15.
- 2nd quarter: June 16.
- 3rd quarter: September 15
2014 tax dates in Canada
If you are filing taxes in Canada then these dates will apply to you:
- March 3, 2013 – RRSP contributions due for 2013 tax year
- April 30, 2014 – personal tax returns
- June 15, 2014 – self-employed business owners tax returns due. If you owe balance from 2013 you have to make a payment before April 30, 2014
- September 30, 2014 – last day to NETFILE
If you make quarterly payments to CRA, the following are the deadlines in 2014 will apply to you: March 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15.